Saturday, January 3, 2009

I'm not grumpy! Now get off my lawn!

There's a fellow guitarist right here in Martinez who reads this here blog, and I'm nothing if not shamefully influenced by my audience. A couple of weeks ago, he said "I always look to see who you're ranting about this week." He enjoys the ranting, I noted to myself. Must rant more.

So I wrote last week's column about new year predictions and decibel meters. My own band members accused me of trying to get assassinated, or telling people that if they don't like it too loud they can just leave. Which is not, astute readers will already know, at all what I said. My wife accused me of being negative. Try as I might, I cannot get the love 'round here. 

But, I thought, CB will enjoy the rant. He said he loves the rants. So I took no small amount of comfort in that. 

Today, in an early afternoon visit to The Good Stuff Guitar Shop, he was there. Well, I inquired, how did you like the column? 

"You're grumpy," he observed. 

Which just goes to show that you cannot, try as you might, please anyone at all. I mean, one would think that a rant about decibel meters and their abuse by those who would impose their volume ethic on everyone would appeal to a fellow guitar playing band dude. But noooo. Instead, I get accused of grumpyhood. 

In future columns, I shall shower light and flowers all over the place, and ne'er say a discouraging word about anything or anyone. I'm gonna get all Donovan on ya'll (those under 35, don't mind the reference -- it means all hippie and peace-love and flowery). 

And I'm gonna do all that as soon as you all get off of my lawn! 

No comments: