Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Musical Weekend - September 4, 2006

On Saturday, my good friends Bill Horton and Mike Maxwell, along with new friend Greg Kelly, played a private party at the Point Marina Yacht Club. This is always a fun group of folks who like to dance and they like our band, so what's not to like? There's a pretty big room where we play, and a separate room with a bar for folks to get away from the music and talk if they want, so no one resents the music. Barbara was there, and good thing, too, because my new Fender Deluxe amp blew a fuse during the fourth song, so while Bill and Mike went to Mike's house for a replacement, Barb, Kelly and I did some acoustic tunes. Whew. 

The next day was the final Sunset By the Lake concert in Pleasant Hill. Same group, same songs -- a couple of Who tunes, a Jim Reeves, blues (of course), just a wide variety of stuff. The crowd was huge, and the response was great. Of course, the incredible Frankie G came and dazzled everyone with his astounding fireworks. And Lesley and her family were also there, so it was a pretty special evening for us.

Finally, yesterday, Labor Day, was a Mojo Madness gig at noon at the Del Rio Hotel in Isleton. What a place. Fortunately, Lesley and her friend Shelly came and that made it pretty all right. But the town and the bar are just weird. Kind of old and unkept. Not very healthy or vital, just sort of laid back and strange, in a toothless kind of way. 

So today I'm going to deal with the amp situation. I defintely want a new one, and not one he thinks he's going to fix and return. In all the time I've played music, I've never had a fuse blow on me. This sucks. 

But it's a small thing in light of all the great opportunities I got to play with some amazing people for three days in a row. Really spectacular, and I'm so grateful.

No comments: