Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Annual Martinez Music Society Gathering

Please subscribe to my blog: http://caroompaspick.blogspot.com. There you can find copies of this column, and other stuff that pops up during the week. I look forward to seeing you there.

This town has something pretty rare and special: a community of musicians and their friends who actively get together now and then and celebrate the music, and the community. Thanks to the mighty Brian Walker and a band of cohorts, the MMS has been operating in one form or another for the past twenty years or so. Its purpose is to bring out local musicians to venues of comfort and safety. It has served its purpose well over the years. These days, it's really more of an excuse for friends to get together and play, and for many years now, John and Barbara (last names omitted because I haven't asked permission) have hosted the annual holiday get-together in their home. It's no small thing. At least thirty or so of us swarm on their home to eat, drink and play for hours. The food is always amazing. The company even more so.

One of the very cool things about the MMS bash is the variety of musical styles that tend to get perpetrated. I suspect that, in the beginning, the gathering had a bluegrass/country/Grateful Dead kind of feel to it, given the founders and their proclivities. But I also know that one of the co-founders, Robert Perry, has always leaned toward the funk and the R&B side of life, and brings his taste for tasty rhythms to the mix. So there is already a powerful Americana thing going on. Add to that some old Beatles songs, tunes by the Stones, Cat Stevens, (gulp) Christmas songs, and even standard from the Great American Songbook, and you have a very potent gumbo of music and fun for your singalong pleasure.

One of my favorite parts of this event is the effervescent Gigi Walker, who generally wears the appropriate Santa hat, sits in the middle of the room, and more or less attempts to direct the musical direction of the evening, at least for a couple of hours. She tries to make sure that there is order in the chaos, and that everyone gets a turn to select a tune and/or sing one. And she is adamant that whatever happens, the vast majority of the attendees can join in and sing along. This is important for when hamburgers like myself show up and attempt to show off by doing more of a show than a share. Gigi makes sure we all keep it real and down home, and brooks no nonsense. 

This year, the usual suspects were in full musical bloom by the afternoon, since this gathering fell on a Sunday, instead of the usual Saturday. That made for a more laid-back feel, and far less imbibing than I (sort of) recall in years past. But for the past two years, I have had with me my beautiful wife, and this year, we played a song together for the very first time at this event. Baby, It's Cold Outside was debuted at an Armando's Hoot Night earlier this year, but this past Sunday was the first time Carol and I did it without the use of words or music in front of us, and it was certainly a weather-appropriate tune. Also the remarkable Bruce Campbell was there, of the Alhambra Valley Band, as was founder Annette, who is learning the mandolin. That made for some bone-chilling bluegrass moments, and lovely harmonies. Mark Thompson was on keyboards, giving a solid foundation to the musical happenings, and Robert Perry brought in a cymbal and drum. At one point, I usually do Bruce Springsteen's 'Thunder Road,' because when there's a keyboard handy, it's the only song I really play well on that instrument. This year, I recall a shadow singer right behind me, singing along note for note, and I swear the shadow looked exactly like Roy Jeans, owner of Armando's. You just haven't lived until that has happened to you. And I'm not sure if anyone was checking to see if his decibel levels were legal or not. I'll get back to you on that. Hope Savage brought her little red guitar and her powerful pipes to sing a few country tunes. Again, chills. Danny White was in fine form, on guitar and mandolin, as well as harp, doing what he does so well. Brian had his guitar/mandolin thing happening, and the list just goes on and on, way beyond my capacity to remember names. For that, I'm sorry. But for the music, I'm so grateful. 

The food. . . well, it's pot luck, but emphasis on the word 'luck.' Someone keeps bringing, every year, these little pastries filled with cream next to a chocolate dipping sauce. Note to this person: why do you hate me so? This tasty little treat, which I cannot have, is a source of guilt for months after the party, because I manage to stop eating them after about ten or so.

All in all, another great year for the Martinez Music Society annual holiday gathering. It's part of what makes this town so remarkable, and I just want to thank everyone responsible for making it happen. It makes my life that much richer, and it's an honor to be part of it. 




No comments: