Saturday, December 6, 2008

Just a New Guitar Ho (ho ho)


Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you that my goal in life is to own every guitar ever made. There is nothing more luxurious to me than

1. A brand new unadulterated notebook, or;
2. A brand new unplayed guitar. 

Both have the advantage of being able to project multiple identities onto the shiny surfaces. 

The guitar in the picture is a cherry-red Firebird by Dillion, a great guitar maker. The person is Danny White, a Very Bad Boy (of The Very Bad Boys) and the owner of Good Stuff Guitar Stuff in Martinez, CA. I am hoping this guitar will be under the tree this year. Who can't love a three-pickup configuration?

Another interesting Dillion Danny had was a 12-string Les Paul copy. The reason for such a thing completely escapes me, but someone is coming in Monday to buy it. An interesting idea, but I can't think of a practical use for a 12-string Les Paul. 

Last week we did a gig where I used a cherry red Hamer ES-335 copy. Amazing guitar. The action and the tone were both remarkable, and it actually sounded better through my tiny Mesa Boogie amp than the actual Gibson ES-335 that my wife bought me last year. Now, that's not an easy thing to write, and hopefully Carol won't read this post. But it's a fact. It looks and feels very close to the real Gibson thing, and it's not even one of the top end Hamers. Great ax. 

At some point very soon, I'm going to post about the Wild Idol gig we did in Byron last Sunday. The gig with the pole on the stage. And the woman on that pole. Oy. 

But right now, it's dinner time and I've got a hungry family. So, as the resident chef, my duties in the kitchen and on the grill await. 

Stay tuned. 

No comments: